To all those I know who are Apple-onians (or is it Apple-ites?) –
First, let me say that I think the iPhone is a very cool device. I may even end up with one. Soon.
But before I drink the Kool-Aid and join the cult, while I still have a teeny, weeny bit of objectivity left, I have to stifle my snickering for a moment and point out a few things from the Apple launch web page for this new model http://www.apple.com/iphone/iphone-3g-s/ (link kindly provided by my friend and Apple Guy – Floyd).
First, and the winner by a landslide is: “Cut, copy, and paste words and photos, even between applications.” Imagine that, “even between applications.” Earth shattering. Now if I could only have more than one app open at once…
A close second is: “You can even forward one or more messages to others.” I hope you were sitting down for that one.
My personal favorite, but the irony would probably be lost on most: “Internet Tethering – Surf the web from practically anywhere. Now you can share the 3G connection on your iPhone with your Mac notebook or PC laptop.
Tethering is not currently offered in the U.S. and some other countries. See your carrier for availability.”
Unfortunately, I don’t have a font small enough to approximate the 2 point used on the web site. Only in America. Or perhaps only on AT&T’s sclerotic network already overwhelmed by all you iPhoners sending each other photos. Or Facebook updates. Or Twitter feeds. Or whatever it is you do with those things. Just wait until iPhone users jailbreak their way into clogging the network with all the videos they can shoot with the new model. Can you say “All circuits are busy now. Please try your call again later.”? I think you can.
A somewhat techie thing: Maximum operating altitude: 10,000 feet (3000 m). It’s a really good thing we didn’t use an unlocked iPhone as our GSM phone in South America. It would have exploded at the altitudes we were at.
A somewhat more techie thing.
Q. What is missing from this list?:
Video formats supported: H.264 video, up to 1.5 Mbps, 640 by 480 pixels, 30 frames per second, Low-Complexity version of the H.264 Baseline Profile with AAC-LC audio up to 160 Kbps, 48kHz, stereo audio in .m4v, .mp4, and .mov file formats; H.264 video, up to 2.5 Mbps, 640 by 480 pixels, 30 frames per second, Baseline Profile up to Level 3.0 with AAC-LC audio up to 160 Kbps, 48kHz, stereo audio in .m4v, .mp4, and .mov file formats; MPEG-4 video, up to 2.5 Mbps, 640 by 480 pixels, 30 frames per second, Simple Profile with AAC-LC audio up to 160 Kbps, 48kHz, stereo audio in .m4v, .mp4, and .mov file formats
A. Flash support. Adobe Flash is the web standard used for video, animation and applications. It is by far the ubiquitous standard for video playback on the web, e.g. YouTube, etc., with over 90% market share. I think there’s some deeply rooted emotional scarring around Apple’s competing Quicktime standard being among those sharing the remaining 10%. Consequently, I’m not holding my breath for Flash on the iPhone, as much as millions would like to see it.
There’s lots more that’s missing from the iPhone platform, even with 3.0, but it’s hard for people who are already down the rabbit hole to appreciate that, being addled by the apps as they are. If you are wondering what the iPhone could be, in the way of capabilities, OS functionality, business tool synch, etc., spend a little time with a Blackberry tied to a corporate BB server or, better yet, take a look at webOS on the Palm Pre. They are way ahead in areas that matter. But then again, so was Beta, but we all bought VHS.
Yes, the iPhone definitely has sexier apps, and the AppArmy will ensure that it will dominate in that area from this day forward, mark my words, unto the end of time (as we know it). So no matter what, iPhone owners will always be able to just shake it and it will do something incredibly cool and fun. Even if it’s just to entertain the kids, as our friends Jay and Alice demonstrated to stunning effect for us in NYC last week. iPhone as kid tranquilizer. Who knew?
And before you all start burning crates of apples on my front lawn (as if I had a front lawn), I’d like to remind all of you that I used to write software for Macs. I’m not an Apple basher. I’m just not a member of the cult. Yet.